We get asked often as a web development agency what’s the best platform for my business website. The truth is, there is no one-size-fits-all answer, so we put together the following comparison of website builder: WordPress vs. Google Sites.
For a detailed analysis of each platform, read on to find out its pros, cons, and ideal use cases. We can help you make the right decision for your website needs and budget by providing you with the right information. Your online business goals depend on your well-built site – and we are here to help!
Google Sites: The Free and Simple Website Builder
Google Sites is a website builder included free with Google Workspace accounts. It allows anyone to create a basic website without needing to code or hiring a web developer. Here are the highlights:
- 100% free to use with a Google account
- Pre-made templates for quick setup
- An easy WYSIWYG (or “What You See Is What You Get”) editor that does not require any prior web design experience
- Built-in hosting on Google’s servers
- Google products are seamlessly integrated
- Very limited design customization options
- Lack of advanced features like ecommerce or mailing lists
- Minimal SEO control and analytic capabilities
- Not suitable for complex or large business sites
Google Sites is a solid free option for simple sites like personal portfolios, small business pages, and basic online brochures. But for growing companies who want custom design, sophisticated features, and professional branding, it falls short.
WordPress: A Flexible CMS for Custom Business Sites
Due to its flexibility, WordPress accounts for more than 40% of all websites on the internet.
- An open source platform with thousands of designs, plugins, and integrations
- With self-hosting WordPress sites, you have full control
- Enhanced search engine rankings with robust SEO tools
- An enterprise-grade solution that scales for any size site
- A wide range of customization options for UX, branding, security, performance, and more
- Requires a domain, hosting, maintenance, and possible developer help
- Steeper learning curve than basic site builders
- Core software is free but themes, plugins, and custom features cost extra
- More vulnerable to security threats if not updated regularly
For growing businesses who want unlimited design possibilities and custom features tailored to their brand, WordPress is the superior choice. With an experienced web development agency, you can build an elegant, high-performing WordPress site that achieves your online business goals.
Choosing the Right Platform for You
So when should you choose WordPress over Google Sites, or vice versa? Here are key questions to ask:
- What’s your budget? Google Sites is free, WordPress requires paid hosting and possible development fees.
- How quickly do you need to launch your site? Google Sites allows faster setup, WordPress is more involved.
- How much traffic will your site get? Google Sites works for smaller sites, WordPress scales better.
- Do you need ecommerce or membership options? WordPress offers far more advanced capabilities.
- How much custom design and functionality is required? Google Sites has minimal options, WordPress is incredibly flexible.
As experienced Google Sites and WordPress web developers, we can offer sage guidance to help you select the best platform and execute your website successfully. Don’t leave crucial business decisions like your website to chance. Partner with the pros to build an online presence as unique as your company.
Let our team of experts handle the complexities of design, development, optimization, and maintenance, so you can focus on running your business. We’d love to chat about your goals and how we can bring your ideal website to life – on any platform. Reach out today to schedule a free consultation!